Small batch sauerkraut. Can be made in large batch, just double recipe for a gallon and so on.
Write a review
- 3 lbs cabbage: no green leaves, white inside leaves only
- 1 1/2 Tbsp kosher salt
- 2 Quart mason jar
- Slice cabbage into thin strips
- Combine cabbage and salt in large bowl
- Message in salt for 5-10 minutes
- Pack into jar pushing cabbage down tightly
- Use something like a smaller jar and place it inside to push cabbage down
- Place cheesecloth or towel over the top and secure with rubber band (I used a coffee filter)
- Place a weight on top to keep pressure on cabbage to help keep cabbage submerged in liquid
- Let ferment on counter at room temperature for 3 to 10 days
- After about one day the cabbage should be covered in its own liquid. Any cabbage not submerged should be discarded.
- Small batches can be ready in 3 days. It is ready however you like it. Taste it and if you want it tangier let it go longer.
- When it is done put into appropriate size jar and put in frig. Will last for months.
Growin Crazy Acres https://growincrazyacres.com/